Who We Are
A life sciences technology company driven to improve patient outcomes by accelerating human tissue-based research, development, and testing.
At TriMetis Life Sciences, we empower labs and organizations to conduct faster, more efficient life sciences research. Our innovative technologies replace tedious, manual processes like quality checking with accurate, AI-based automation, and connect researchers with biospecimen suppliers through a highly searchable online marketplace. We help eliminate testing bottlenecks, advance medical research, and improve patient outcomes.
Our team has direct research experience in genomics, proteomics, and clinical research. We’ve felt the impact cancer has on families and loved ones, and we know the struggle of trying to research new medical solutions without quality biospecimens. Our stories, and yours, motivate what we do.
President & Chief Executive Officer
Phil has decades of executive-level experience growing start-ups from foundation to over $65 million in value. He has a proven track record in starting, building, and running companies and divisions, as well as specializing in entrepreneurial leadership, strategic planning, software development, operations, information technology and financial reporting.
- Phil also serves as the Associate Vice Chancellor of Research and Business Development for the University of Tennessee Health Science Center and the Executive Director of CTN2, a statewide clinical trials network established by the University of Tennessee.
- Prior to joining TriMetis he was the President of SCRI Global Services at Sarah Cannon Research Institute and Director of Life Sciences Product Management and Strategy at Oracle Corporation.
- Phil served as Vice President of Life Sciences at Memphis Bioworks Foundation.
Phil can be found at our TriMetis headquarters in Memphis, usually running into a meeting or sprinting off to meet with local clients.
Chief Operating Officer
Jon is a researcher at heart, having over 24 years of experience in the life sciences and 20 years of management in start-up biotech companies. He has created several companies, most recently co-founding FoundationBio, which is now part of TriMetis.
- Jon has served in academia and senior roles in the industry with University of Michigan, UCLA, Genelogic, Rosetta Inpharmatics, Asterand, and AdeptBio.
- While at Asterand Jon developed a successful Biobank that generated significant revenue for the company.
- Jon holds several certifications from the University of Michigan for Lean and Six Sigma and is a Certified Six Sigma Black Belt.
- Jon is listed on several publications and is the co-inventor and patent holder of several products.
Jon can be found in the TriMetis lab setting up biospecimen kits, consulting on collections and lab testing, or more likely balloon twisting—one of his many hobbies!
Chief Innovation Officer
Leif has over 25 years of experience in the life sciences industry. Prior to joining TriMetis, he co-founded FoundationBio, which is now part of TriMetis, and successfully built several life science start-ups.
- Leif has served in senior roles in several start-up life science companies in research biospecimen procurement, diagnostics, and M&A transactions, including the companies Digilab LLC, BioVisioN, GmbH, and Genomic Solutions, LLC.
- He is the inventor of and holds several patents in peptide research tools and renal insufficiency diagnostics.
- He continues to give back to the community through various charities by donating his time and expertise.
- He is currently a member of the Board of Visitors of the Kiski School, Director of Mumon Karate, and President of Rye Soccer Association.
Leif can be found helping clients further their research, meeting with our ever-growing team, or on the soccer field coaching!
Dr. John Pfeifer is a Professor of Pathology, and Obstetrics and Gynecology, and is board certified in Anatomic Pathology and also Molecular Genetic Pathology. He has been a practicing surgical pathologist and molecular pathologist for over 30 years.
Dr. Pfiefer has a long-standing interest in digital pathology and telepathology, specifically on the approaches and clinical settings in which the techniques provide independent information that increases diagnostic accuracy, can be used to guide therapy, or can increase operational efficiency. In support of these goals, Dr. Pfeifer led development of the WUPax software tool now in routine clinical use nationally to support primary histopathology diagnosis via telepathology and related workflows.
Dr. Pfiefer's other main interests are centered on the role of molecular genetic testing in the analysis of tissue specimens, both for diagnosis and to guide therapy. Dr. Pfeifer helped lead the development of Genomics and Pathology Services at Washington University in St. Louis, a clinical NGS laboratory designed to support patient care, clinical trials, and translational research studies.
Manager, Biospecimen Procurement & Logistics
Dynelle has more than 15 years of experience in the life sciences with start-up biotech companies. She is a results-oriented leader able to reduce costs, boost productivity, streamline operations, manage projects, and motivate employees.
- Prior to joining TriMetis she served in operations at Asterand, where she managed a 400,000-specimen inventory as well as laboratory and shipping/receiving departments.
- Dynelle holds a certification for Lean Six Sigma from the University of Michigan.
Dynelle can be found coordinating with hospitals, clinics and specialists who are interested in expanding their role in research, implementing software testing for the online biospecimen marketplace, or gardening at home.
Director, Business Development
Pete Cestaro has over 20 years of sales and business development experience with world-class organizations in a variety of diverse industries. He is always pushing the creative envelope in his work and finding new and innovative ways to increase sales and revenue.
- Pete spent the first portion of his career working for FedEx Corporation, selling logistic services to large accounts in Manhattan. In the evenings he pursued and completed his MBA. He spent the next phase of his career working in Business Development for a tech start-up, where he uncovered partnership opportunities, outlined a sales strategy, and negotiated deals. Prior to his role at TriMetis, Pete worked in Business Development for Johnson & Johnson, focusing on the pharmaceutical market.
- Pete has performed as a standup comedian for many years in New York City and at venues throughout the country.
- After graduating Cumberland University on a full baseball scholarship, Pete played two seasons in the minor leagues.
Pete currently lives in Bridgehampton, NY with his girlfriend Kerianne. When they aren’t working, they can be found surfing, playing golf, or walking their dogs on the beach.